Today I made rainbow trout, and aside from my electric coil stove top taking about five minutes to reach the proper temperature, it took about SIX MINUTES total. Most of that was just waiting around for the fish to cook.
For this dish I used a recipe from one of Gordon Ramsay’s videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM) and modified it for rainbow trout:
1) Score the fish along its length- by curling it with your fingers and letting the knife go down about halfway through
2) Season between scores with salt and olive oil (and rosemary if you want)
3) Coat a pan with olive oil and set it to a high heat, when the olive oil starts smoking add the fish to the pan skin side down
4) Sprinkle some salt onto the other side of the fish
5) DON’T TOUCH THE FISH and let it cook for 2-3mins (for salmon let cook for 4-5mins)
6) Flip the fish and tilt the pan so all the olive oil surrounds the fish on one side, let cook for 30 seconds.
7) Take the fish out of the pan and enjoy!
If you’re more of a visual learner it may be advantageous to watch the video for reference, but either way it should be fairly easy. Here’s what my fish looked like when it was ready to be put in the pan:
If you want something extra, I found Tempura sauce went rather well with the fish. You can find this ingredient in the “Asian” section of most supermarkets.
I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it!